Thursday, October 1, 2015

I Don't Care

I DON'T CARE if you own a gun.

I DON'T CARE if you think it is your God-given Second Amendment right to own that gun. (It isn't - thank the Founders of this Nation and the NRA for that. God had nothing to do with it.)

I DON'T CARE if you think I'm for legislation that would take your guns away. (I'm not - see #1.) (Well, maybe some of them - see below.)

I DON'T CARE if you don't like the idea of having to be subjected to regular psychological testing so you can keep your gun(s). (First one within 365 days of legislation requiring the test, minimum every three years, but I'd even settle for every five, for a re-test.)

I DON'T CARE if you don't like the idea of having to attend a gun safety course within 365 days following passage of a federal law that would require gun safety courses in order for you to keep your guns.

I DON'T CARE if you don't like the idea of have to take a refresher gun safety course every two years in order to keep your guns.

I DON'T CARE if you don't like the idea of MANDATORY PRISON TIME and LOSS OF YOUR GUNS if you fail to show up for your psych testing or for your gun safety courses.

I DON'T CARE if you don't like the idea that all "assault weapons" (I know, it's a very broad term) should be removed from sale to the general public and the companies that sold them should be forced to buy every fucking one of them back.

I DON'T CARE if those companies go bankrupt when they have to buy them all back.

I DON'T CARE that mass shootings are caused by an infinitesimal fraction of those people who have access to guns.

I DON'T CARE if you feel like you will be punished for the actions of a few.

However . . .

I DO CARE about the victims - and their families - of mass shootings. (Trust me, I took some time to weep for today's victims and will weep some more.)

I DO CARE that we are the only major industrialized nation in the world that mass shootings occur on such a regular basis.

I DO CARE that, so far in 2015, there have been 294 mass shootings in (four or more killed or injured) in 274 days. (Do the math - that's more than one a day folks.)

I DO CARE if you don't think that something finally needs to be done. I also feel very, very sorry for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment