Saturday, August 9, 2014

Prog's Top 100 - #3 "Selling England By The Pound" (Genesis)

"And I know what I like, and I like what I know." - I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)

So as we move through the Top Ten in Prog Magazine's "Top 100 Greatest Prog Albums of All Time" we come to #3, "Selling England By The Pound" from Genesis. Without question, if you could only pick one album from Genesis, this is the one. There are some other great releases but, for me, this really stands out, this is where they hit their stride. The next one, "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" (which came in at #8 so we'll be looking at that one in a few days), is a close second, but then things begin to unravel following Peter Gabriel's departure ("A Trick Of The Tale" and "Wind and Wuthering" are two good albums that close out the Steve Hackett era and, as far as I'm concerned, the band after that was Genesis in name only). The only piece that seems horribly out of place is a song with Phil Collins on lead vocals, "More Fool Me," that I don't even include on my music player. Everything else is just classic Genesis.

The album title is a line from the first track, "Dancing With The Moonlit Knight"

"The Battle of Epping Forest"

And "The Cinema Show" (the instrumental section that begins at about 5:25 - simply brilliant)


Tomorrow we'll look at #4 . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment