Monday, February 3, 2014

A Brief Look at the RW Noise Machine and Coke's "America the Beautiful" Ad

Curiosity got the better of me, so I just had to wander over to Twitter to have a look at some of the tweets with the "boycottcoke" hashtags. Here are a few of my faves:

"GLAAD praised Coke for being 'gay-inclusive' for showing two gay dads in their commercial. Another reason to #boycottcoke"

What's really great about the above is this individual has a "don't tread on me" flag for his avatar . . . and his Twitter name? The author of a little piece from the late 1700s called "The Age of Reason." My irony meter went nuclear!

People were actually saying stuff like this:
"If you don't know how to sing our national anthem in English. Then get the hell out #boycottcoke"

I'd heard there were numerous tweets like this, but I couldn't help myself, I had to see it with my own eyes. Seriously, what level of (self-proclaimed patriotic) moron does not know the U.S. National Anthem?

Here's another:
"Our national anthem should be in American. WE R AMERICAN. #boycottcoke"
Hmmm . . . couldn't bother to spell out "ARE" in that one, even though enough characters were left.

Missing a hyphen here, I think . . .
"Can't believe how unamerican Coke is.  #boycottcoke"
Amazing command of English from someone who calls him/herself "RealTrueConservative":
"When I'm Chic Fil A I'll drink water and only water. LIKE are Lord Jesus! #boycottcoke"
(This was probably in response to comments from some people asking the Wingers what they planned to drink when eating at Chik-Fil-A . . . "are" instead of "our" and butchering the name of their favorite fast food restaurant.)

And I'll close this with a couple from "AngryWhiteRepublican" (who has an avatar with Jesus sitting down holding a rather large rifle and has this for a motto: I believe in two things: guns and the King James Bible.):
"Not buying it Coke, no Kumbaya for this patriot. I do what the Bible tells me!"
"Despite Coke's best efforts, patriots still know that sometimes you have to kick non-American ass for God."

Yup. Some of these, um, "people" may be your neighbors . . .

1 comment: